Tiny-homes come in many shapes and sizes but how they are characterised by your local state and council may look different to what you might expect.
There are some common forms of tiny-homes such as secondary dwellings, granny flats, workers cottages that might be part of the housing mix in your neighbourhood.
Then there are some newer forms that can be differentiated by whether they are built on wheels or whether they are single or multiple dwelling projects.
Here are some forms of 'tinies' and any known Australian/New Zealand projects with a social focus completed or underway:
- THOW (Tiny-home-on-wheels) – our THOW is currently in Armidale (NSW) with Backtrack Youth Works to expand their group home capacity while they build four more tiny-homes, replicas of our Racecourse Rd project. A THOW registered as caravan is permitted in a caravan park.
- Multi-site dwellings – Launch Housing in Victoria have a large project of 57 one bed homes on Vic Roads land.
- Secondary dwellings/backyard studio – Kids Under Cover have used this form successfully in Victoria where they have built over 500 homes.
- Garden flats – Wentworth Community Housing have a program “Garden Flat” program that incentivises home owners to have a tiny-home installed on their property that is managed by Wentworth Community Housing.
- Primary/secondary dwellings – Our next project in Umina
- Boarding house – Our pilot project in Gosford
- Group homes – Backtrack Youth Works
- Tiny Homes Project, CHIRP Community Health, Castlemaine, Victoria
Transition Village Wallan, Victoria – Proposed Temporary Housing Complex
Island Child Charitable Trust, Auckland NZ – kitsets and are put together on the site, each house has small veranda, one large room on the ground floor, with double bed, tallboys and a small refrigerator; stairs lead up to a loft, which accommodates two additional beds. There are no cooking facilities or bathroom, they are sleepouts, and not classified by the council as separate dwellings.
- Forage Built/Calyx16 South Australia – in prototype
If you know of a tiny-home project that is focused on housing for people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness please email us firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share and support their journey.